It’s back to school time! But if you don’t have kids, it’s pumpkin spice season! Either way, we could all use a nutritious grab-and-go snack to keep us going. Try your hand at some homemade granola bars! These fast and easy treats require just a little prep and are packed with ingredients that keep you and the kiddos satisfied until dinner time. They’re totally customizable, just keep in mind the more mix-ins you add, the more binding mix you’ll need. Plan accordingly!
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup Sugar Plum Pumpkin Spice Almonds, chopped or whole
2 tbsp flax, chia, sunflower, or pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup honey (vegan swap: mix coconut oil and maple or agave)
1/3 cup almond or peanut butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger)
1/4 cup optional mix-ins
- Roast oats, seeds, and almonds at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes. Watch so they don’t burn, but feel free to roast longer if you want a crunchier texture.
- Meanwhile, mix honey, almond butter, salt, and spices together.
- Add roasted oats, nuts, and other toppings to honey mixture, and mix. Add more honey if it does not combine well.
- Cover a small tray with parchment paper, spoon mixture in, spread, and flatten for an even layer. Sprinkle chocolate in after you’ve added it to the tray, but before you spread it for a more even distribution and to prevent the chocolate from melting.
- Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to set. Once chilled, cut into bars.
- Store them in an airtight container with parchment paper between layers to prevent sticking. Keep in the fridge for a week or freeze for two months
Remember, granola bars are totally customizable, so get creative! Protein powder, dates, raisins, pistachios, pecans, puffed rice cereal, marshmallows, pretzels, shredded coconut, and more.