These pretzels are delicious thanks to the addition of beer. It gives it a great flavor that everyone at your party or get together will be sure to enjoy! For an extra zing, top them with a little shredded cheese before going into the oven. You can also brush them with melted butter after baking, and then top them with parmesan cheese.
1 package instant yeast (7g)
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup beer (any kind)
¼ cup water, lukewarm
¼ stick butter, plus extra for brushing
3 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons baking soda
- Combine yeast, salt, sugar and water in a measuring cup and let it sit for a few minutes. You should see bubbles – this means your yeast is alive!
- Cut the butter into tiny pieces, and then rub it into the flour using your fingertips until it’s almost “invisible.”
- Make a hole in the center of the flour. Pour in the beer, then the yeast mixture. It will bubble a lot.
- Stir it all together and knead for 5 minutes. Let it proof (rise) for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a work surface. Use a little flour if it gets too sticky! Cut the dough into 16-20 pieces depending on how large you like your pretzels.
- Roll the pieces of dough into 14” strands. Then, make a circle and twist the ends together (see photo). Pull the ends over the opposite side of the circle, making a pretzel shape! Set aside to rise while you boil a large pot of water (half full). Preheat the oven to 475°.
- When the water is boiling, add 3 tablespoons of baking soda. By this time the pretzels should be slightly puffy – drop one into the boiling water. It will puff up, and you should flip it to cook each side for 30 seconds – 1 minute. Prepare all of the pretzels this way and then bake them for 11-14 minutes, until golden brown.
- When they come out of the oven, brush them with butter and top with a generous sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Eating them warm is the best!